CONSUMER CLASS ACTION ATTORNEY
Class Action Attorneys Protecting Consumers in New Jersey, New York, and Nationwide
Not All Lawyers Have the Resources and Experience You DeserveThe attorneys at Schlanger Law Group LLP have extensive experience in consumer class action cases, including:
- Three class actions against different high-volume debt collection law firms that made false allegations in legal documents.
- A multi-district product liability class action against a luxury car manufacturer.
- A lawsuit against a high-volume debt collection law firm that continued to pursue collection action after learning that the affidavits filed in tens of thousands of cases had been falsified.
- A large, consolidated case against multiple fraudulent used-car dealerships and several finance companies that were aware of the fraud yet continued to enforce the loans.
- A lawsuit involving misstatements in court documents filed by a high-volume debt collection law firm.
- A case against a law firm issuing summonses that misstated the consumers’ timeframe to respond to collection lawsuits.
Consumer Class Action Lawyers Handle a Variety of Lawsuits
Class action lawsuits can involve widespread consumer rights violations, from deceptive practices to defective products. Some of the most common cases include:
- Unfair debt collection practices especially Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) violations,
- Defective or dangerous product liability,
- False and deceptive advertising,
- Hidden or unlawful loan and financing fees,
- Unfair business practices, and
- Violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)
The critical common thread is the company or other entity has violated the law in some way that caused similar harm to a large number of consumers. In some cases, violations have gone unchecked for years and negatively impacted tens of thousands of consumers.
The Class-Action Lawsuit Process
A class action is typically started by an individual or a small group of people. This group, or “class,” has been harmed by a large business or other entity that violated federal, state, or local law.
The lawsuit is brought on behalf of not only the named plaintiffs but also “on behalf of all others similarly situated.” This means that the named plaintiffs must allege that the harmful acts affected a larger group of victims, beyond themselves.
The named plaintiffs, through their class action attorneys, eventually ask the court to “certify the class.” The court must find that the issues are common to a larger group to allow the named plaintiffs to move forward and litigate the case on behalf of all consumers who were similarly harmed.
For example, a class might include every person in a state or in the United States who was charged a fee in violation of their credit card agreement, or who suffered an illegal interest rate.
Possible Class Action Remedies
In addition to monetary settlements or awards, class action orders and agreements often include provisions requiring the company to stop the unlawful practices, provide better information, and otherwise improve their business practices and interactions with consumers.
Many class-action lawsuits settle because there is compelling evidence of widespread unlawful practices and companies are concerned about a court ruling that they violated the law. However, even in the cases that ultimately settle, class action attorneys must often fight for years to protect consumers’ rights in complex and often highly technical proceedings.
A class of consumers must be represented by attorneys with sophisticated knowledge, experience, dedication, and resources to achieve the most favorable result possible.
We are Consumer Class Action Attorneys Serving Clients in New Jersey, New York, and Nationwide
Schlanger Law Group LLP has the resources and experience to effectively bring class-action suits on behalf of consumers who have been harmed by deceptive business practices, defective products, unfair collection actions, and other violations of state and federal law.
Our practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of consumers around the country, and our experience allows us to successfully manage complex class action litigation on behalf of those harmed by large companies. We also routinely work with smaller law firms that want to partner with experienced class action counsel to ensure the best result for their clients.
Whether you are a consumer who has suffered financially because of unlawful business practices or defective products, or if you are an attorney looking for a partner to provide the best representation to your class action clients, the class action attorneys at Schlanger Law Group are here to help.
Schlanger Law Group LLP serves clients in New Jersey, New York, and throughout the United States with consumer protection, class action, credit reporting, and identity theft issues.